With the increasing awareness of dental issues these days, dental implants are a saviour for people who have lost some of their teeth. Dental implants are gaining popularity and are an effective way to replace the missing teeth. It is a huge achievement and advancement in the field of dentistry helping people overcome dental issues. According to the records, men lost their teeth early than women.
What are Dental implants?
Dental implants are replacements of the entire tooth structure placed surgically in the tooth sockets. There are two major types of implants:
- Endosteal – Endosteals are the most common type of implants which are placed into the jawbone.
- Subperiosteal – These implants are placed above the jaw and are done in patients who have a less bone height.
What are the indications of getting a Dental implant?
Implants are placed after a proper dental evaluation of the oral cavity. Patients who have teeth in a good condition are ideal candidates for implant surgery. The following are a few pointers which will help you decide whether to get an implant or not.
- Adequate bone density is a must for the proper placement of the implant
- Complete and proper growth of the jaw
- Missing teeth
- Healthy condition of the oral mucosa
- Patients who maintain good oral hygiene
- Patients who do not have any serious health condition like Diabetes , heart disease
- Patients with no habit of smoking or chewing tobacco
How are Implants placed?
Placement of implants requires a lot of cooperation from the patient. It is a gradual process and demands patience from both. An implant is made of titanium and is easily accepted by the body. Dental implants are placed in three stages:
- First, the bone is drilled to make space for the dental implant post which is placed carefully.
- The bone socket is left to heal in which the implant integrates with the jaw bone, this process is known as Osseointegration. For the complete osseoitegration to take place, a wait of 3 months is essential which results in the proper fusion of the bone and implant.
- The last step involves placement of the artificial tooth. The tooth or dental crown is customized and tailored according to your natural tooth. In cases of replacement of more than one tooth, a bridge is made which fits perfect over the implant.
What are the advantages of Implants?
- Dental implants are permanent and aesthetically prove to uplift your confidence.
- It improves the oral health by not damaging or affecting the surrounding healthy teeth
- Implants fuse into the bone mimicking an actual tooth and hence are durable for many years.
- As it replaces the actual tooth, it functions as your own and helps in eating everything you possibly wish to.
- An improvement in speech is observed drastically as the spaces in the mouth and ill fitting dentures cause slurring and improper speech are eliminated.
- Dental implants preserve the bone structure and help in reducing bone resorption which leads in the decrease of the jaw bone height.